Teachers – What you can claim at tax time.

Below is a quick guide of what you may be able to claim in your tax return if you work in the teaching industry.

Self-education expenses: Education fees or courses relating directly to your current job such as first aid course or working with children.

Home Office: Percentage of running costs of your home office including depreciation of office equipment, work-related phone calls and internet access charges, and electricity for heating, cooling and lighting costs.  If you purchase equipment for your work and it costs more than $300, you can claim a deduction for this cost spread over a number of years (depreciation).

Uniform: You can claim a deduction for the cost of buying, hiring, mending or cleaning certain uniforms that are unique and distinctive to your job, or protective clothing that your employer requires you to wear. You can’t claim a deduction for the cost of buying or cleaning plain clothing worn at work, even if your employer tells you to wear it, and even if you only wear it for work – eg sports clothing.Other possible deductions:

Other possible deductions include:

  • Phone and internet usage
  • Excursions, school trips and camps
  • Seminar and conferences
  • Protective equipment such as sunglasses and hats
  • Teaching aids
  • Technical and professional publications
  • Union and professional association fees

You cannot claim gifts you purchase for students.