Nursing, midwife or carer– What you can claim at tax time.

Below is a quick guide of what you may be able to claim in your tax return if you are a nurse, midwife or carer.

Clothing expenses: You can claim a deduction for the cost of buying, mending and cleaning uniforms that are unique and distinctive to your job. Or protective clothing you are required to wear for your safety. For example – non slip nursing shoes or support stockings.

Car expenses: You can claim a deduction for the cost of travel while performing your duties. This includes travel between different work locations, including for different employers. Normal trips between home and work are private in nature and can’t be claimed.

Self-education expenses: You can claim a deduction for self-education expenses if your course relates directly to your current job.

Other possible deductions include:

  • Cost of seminars and conferences
  • Union and professional association fees
  • Calculators
  • Agency commissions and agency fees
  • Annual practising certificate fees
  • Technical or professional publications
  • Telephone and internet usage